Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I always make this soup the day after Thankgiving or anytime we have a turkey carcass. It is very adaptable depending what vegetables and pasta that you have on hand. Some years for a change of pace I use uncooked rice instead of the pasta. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit (October 1985)
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 1 cooked turkey carcass, chopped in big pieces in order to fit in the soup pot
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2-3 clove garlic, crushed
- 0.25 ml dried thyme or 0.25 ml subsitute dried sage
- 1419.54-2839.08 ml water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes (optional for added flavor)
- 1 tomatoes, chopped (or add 1 six-ounce pan tomato paste or 1 can tomato juice, depending on what is on hand)
- turkey gravy (optional)
- pan juices (optional)
- 170.09-226.79 g pasta (small shapes or egg noodles) or 118.29 ml uncooked rice
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 236.59 ml mushroom, sliced (or subsitute another vegetable-green beans is also good)
- 44.37 ml parsley, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add turkey carcass and brown lightly, stirring occassionally (8-10 minutes).
- Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic and thyme (or sage) to pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add water (enough to cover turkey carcass), bouillion cubes, tomato, gravy (if available) and pan juices (if available). Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours.
- Strain broth, reserving turkey pieces (I usually get 1-3 cups turkey pieces).
- Return broth to pan (I use a clean pan). Bring to a boil and add pasta (or rice), celery, carrots, and mushrooms (or other vegetables). Bring to a boil and cook for 10-20 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are done.
- Stir in parsley and salt and pepper.
Cool, never tried to brown the carcass before. Soup came out great, very similar to mine but I never used sage and garlic. I think it will become my standard. Didn't add the pasta since my daughter is going carb free, but a very good soup. Thanks for a great dinner on a cold night ellie! Made for PRMR Nov 2012
This made a great tasting soup for dinner tonight. I used lima beans, ring shaped pasta, about a1/4 can diced tomatoes leftover in the fridge, and a little leftover gravy. Thanks Ellie!