1/2 Photos of Day After Thanksgiving Soup
3 hrs 20 mins
I always make this soup the day after Thankgiving or anytime we have a turkey carcass. It is very adaptable depending what vegetables and pasta that you have on hand. Some years for a change of pace I use uncooked rice instead of the pasta. Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit (October 1985)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cooked turkey carcass, chopped in big pieces in order to fit in the soup pot
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pinch dried thyme or 1 pinch subsitute dried sage
- 6 -12 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes (optional for added flavor)
- 1 tomato, chopped (or add 1 six-ounce pan tomato paste or 1 can tomato juice, depending on what is on hand)
- turkey gravy (optional)
- pan juices (optional)
- 1Melt butter in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add turkey carcass and brown lightly, stirring occassionally (8-10 minutes).
- 2Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic and thyme (or sage) to pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- 3Add water (enough to cover turkey carcass), bouillion cubes, tomato, gravy (if available) and pan juices (if available). Bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours.
- 5Strain broth, reserving turkey pieces (I usually get 1-3 cups turkey pieces).
- 6Return broth to pan (I use a clean pan). Bring to a boil and add pasta (or rice), celery, carrots, and mushrooms (or other vegetables). Bring to a boil and cook for 10-20 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are done.
- 7Stir in parsley and salt and pepper.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Day After Thanksgiving Soup
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.5
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 10.4 mg
- Sodium 555.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: