Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I frequently make "masoor dal" according to the recipe in Shanta Nimbark Sacharoff's "Flavors of India" cookbook. It is a fairly standard dal recipe; I'm sure any dal would work. I serve it with brown basmati rice. This is a recipe I invented to use up some leftover dal and rice. I was pleased that dal is so conducive to a southwestern flavor.
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 1 cup cooked and cooled dal
- 2 cups cooked and cooled brown rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Halve peppers lengthwise; stem, seed, devein. Arrange peppers in baking dish, open sides up.
- Combine all other ingredients in a separate dish.
- Fill peppers with mixture.
- Bake 15 minutes or until peppers are soft and stuffing is heated throughout.
- If desired, provide a bowl of grated cheddar cheese for topping. My kids prefer their peppers with cheese on top. I like mine just fine without it.