Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is for a diversified rotary diet. We eat beef on day 1.
Make and share this Day 1 Beef Chuck Roast recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a large dutch oven, heat oil.
- Brown meat on all sides and season with salt and pepper while browning.
- Remove beef to a plate when done browning.
- Add onions and mushrooms to the pot and cook until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and mustard powder and cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in stock or water and loosen any bits on the bottom of the pot.
- Add sugar and give a good stir.
- Add meat back to pot making sure to also add any juices that drained onto the plate.
- There should be enough liquid to come about halfway up the sides of the roast, but if not, add enough water to reach this point.
- Top with rosemary sprig.
- Cover and cook in the oven for about 3 hours or until meat is fork tender.
- Place the meat on a serving plate and tent with foil.
- Cook the liquid until it is reduced by about half, making a glaze / gravy. You can add a bit of flour mixed with cold water at this point if you want to thicken it.
This recipe came out amazing. I used seasoned flour to make the gravy and poured that on top of the sliced beef. Tender and juicy.
DELICIOUS. I thought I had a chuck roast in the freezer but it turned out to be a blade roast. Other than using that, the only changes I made were to use dried rosemary since the fresh wasn't very nice at the store, and to cook this in a crockpot all day after browning the meat and making the braising liquid. This was really lovely and I will keep this recipe on hand and make again and again. A little more work than my standard roast recipe but so, so worth it. Made for Spring '12 PAC.
WOW! Its is like Meat Butter- it melts in your mouth. When i realized I'd bought a chuck roast i totally panicked- but this was so amazing I may just buy cheaps cuts of meat all the time! I deglazed the pan in the beginning with some Sherry I had sitting around and I had no mushrooms, so I added Mushroom Broth instead of beef broth. Other than that- I followed the recipe as specified. It really was excellent!