Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a definite cross between a light dessert or a breakfast quick bread treat. It has the texture of a cake but in loaf form. From a TOH booklet and submitted by Dawn C. from Florida. This uses cake flour which I find makes a really lighter texture to the loaves than standard flour. You can substitute all purpose flour but reduce the total by 3 1/2 tbls (for every cup of cake flour you need to reduce all purpose by 2 tbls) but remember that all purpose will probably give you a heavier texture of cake loaf.
- 1 3⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar (for dusting the cake loaf after baking)
- Prepare a 9x5x3" loaf pan with cooking spray then lightly dust with flour.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- Add the oil and orange juice to the dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into wet mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until a pick comes out clean from the center.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack.
- Let loaf cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar and slicing.
This is an excellent orange loaf cake, and I didn't make any changes to this. I did use fresh orange juice, (had to use some oranges we rec'd during this past holiday season, and followed the previous reviewers suggestion of zesting some of the orange peel. I used cake flour as well, since I had this in the ol' farm cupboards and found this to be delightful served with a special cup of tea in the afternoon before feeding the animals. Also mixed some of the rest of the orange juice 3 tablespoons, 2 cups of confectioners sugar, and 1/4 cup of soft butter to drizzle on the top. Perfection, HokiesLady! Made for *I Recommend* Tag Game January 2009.
This was so AWESOME and is great when you want cake but don't want a big layer type cake. I added some orange zest to the batter and made a runny icing to pur over top. Made for Photo Tag Dec 2008