I make many types of chili, but my wife likes this version best. It is easy, virtually fat-free, and family-friendly. It makes a big pot but freezes well. I spice up my own bowl with hot sauce, jalapenos,fresh onion, whatever.
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 ounces veggie crumbles
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 19 ounces red kidney beans, undrained
- 19 ounces romano beans, undrained
- 19 ounces black beans, undrained
- 12 ounces corn, drained
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried chipotle powder (optional)
- Using a large pot, saute the chopped vegetables in the olive oil until soft.
- Crumble in the fake meat and stir a bit.
- Add all of the canned stuff and stir.
- Add all of the seasonings and simmer for 30 minutes, adding a bit of water if you like it thinner.
- Taste and tweak; if you like it spicier I recommend the chipotle powder. Hot sauce will do it too.