Recipe by internetnut
I recieved this recipe from my fiance's friend from work. This is the first potato soup I ever made. To me this is a very good basic potato soup recipe. I do not use 1 1/2 bags potatoes I only use 1/2-1 bag potatoes. I cook this on medium heat for 20-30 minutes. I also thicken this soup with 3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water or more.
Top Review by Tamaretta
We really enjoyed this. I used about 5-6 lg potatoes and quite a bit more (lo-fat) milk than 2 cups - more like 4 to cover the potatoes. After adding the cheese, I added another 2 cups of milk to make it soupier - it was quite thick. Topped with crispy bacon and green onions. Very good basic recipe and most of all no special trip to the store--had all the ingredients! YEAH!!!
- 7 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, choppped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes in a large pot.
- Fill the pot with milk enough to just cover the potatoes.
- Add the onions and butter.
- Fry the bacon and cut into pieces then add to the soup.
- Boil on low to medium heat until the potatoes are fork tender about 15-20 minutes or longer if needed.
- Add the cut up cheese then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.