Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mom used to make this all the time. She would experiment with all types of food and in turn, her creations were wonderful!! Though, I do not know if this is one of her original recipes but it was handwritten in her notebook of recipes that was given to me at the time of her death.
- 3 (9 ounce) packagesfrozen French style green beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (5 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced, drained
- 2 cans cream of celery soup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 2 cans French fried onions rings
- Combine water, beans and salt. Bring to a quick boil.
- Reduce heat until it has thawed and slightly crisp. **About 4 minutes** Drain them.
- In a 2 quart casserole dish, layer the beans and chestnuts.
- Next, mix the milk and soup into a separate bowl. Add pepper.
- Pour this over the beans and chestnuts. Bake at 350* for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with the onion rings and bake again until they are a golden brown.
I had a gang for dinner and made this green bean dish and everyone loved it! Thanks — Jul 2, 2001, I have made this so many times it is souper easy and very tasty. This time I added pictures-I hope you like them Traci & Jeff
This is really good.The only thing i did not like was the water chestnuts.I will make this again but i wiil not use the water chestnuts.
This was very good. Much like the classic recipe, but tasted slightly lighter because of the celery soup vs. mushroom. I chopped the water chestnuts up and also mixed ingredients versus layering (except some onions on top).