Recipe by baezus
My son, David, got this recipe from his rabbi when he attended Skokie Yeshiva. The rabbi served this during evening shiurim.
- 4 large potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 680.38 g short ribs or 680.38 g flankin if using meat
- 59.14 ml oil if not using meat
- 78.07 ml barbecue sauce
- 78.07 ml ketchup
- 22.18 ml salt
- 14.79 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 149.68 g dried beans, for cholent checked and rinsed
- 340.19 g barley, checked and rinsed
- 1 kishke, without plastic
Directions See How It's Made
- 6 quart crock pot.
- Line bottom of crock pot with potatoes.
- Layer each of the following ingredients in order. No need to stir.
- Remember if not using meat use 1/4 cup oil and if using meat you don't need the oil.
- Fill pot to 1 inch higher than the ingredients with water.
- Set pot at Low for 24 hours OR High for 12 hours.
- Do not mix until right before serving.