24 hrs 15 mins
My son, David, got this recipe from his rabbi when he attended Skokie Yeshiva. The rabbi served this during evening shiurim.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs short ribs or 1 1/2 lbs flankin if using meat
- 1/4 cup oil if not using meat
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 lb dried beans, for cholent checked and rinsed
- 3/4 lb barley, checked and rinsed
- 1/2 kishke, without plastic
- 16 quart crock pot.
- 2Line bottom of crock pot with potatoes.
- 3Layer each of the following ingredients in order. No need to stir.
- 4Remember if not using meat use 1/4 cup oil and if using meat you don't need the oil.
- 5Fill pot to 1 inch higher than the ingredients with water.
- 6Set pot at Low for 24 hours OR High for 12 hours.
- 7Do not mix until right before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for David's Favorite Cholent Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 133.3
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 610.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: