Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
My son, David, got this recipe from his rabbi when he attended Skokie Yeshiva. The rabbi served this during evening shiurim.
- 4 large potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs short ribs or 1 1⁄2 lbs flankin if using meat
- 1⁄4 cup oil if not using meat
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 lb dried beans, for cholent checked and rinsed
- 3⁄4 lb barley, checked and rinsed
- 1⁄2 kishke, without plastic
- 6 quart crock pot.
- Line bottom of crock pot with potatoes.
- Layer each of the following ingredients in order. No need to stir.
- Remember if not using meat use 1/4 cup oil and if using meat you don't need the oil.
- Fill pot to 1 inch higher than the ingredients with water.
- Set pot at Low for 24 hours OR High for 12 hours.
- Do not mix until right before serving.