Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This old family recipe was my absolute favorite as a kid, but I've renamed it in honor of my husband since it's his favorite now! It's different than most of the stroganoff recipes posted because there are no tomatoes in it.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet, to brown the sauce
- Chop the meat into small bite-size pieces, about 1/2" square. Sprinkle salt, fresh ground pepper and paprika onto steak pieces and dredge in flour.
- Using a heavy pan, sear steak in oil on medium-high until browned. Add onions and garlic and cook about five minutes, taking care not to burn the garlic. (Turn down to medium if needed.).
- Add soup and water, cover and cook about 15 minutes on medium.
- Just before serving, add sour cream and kitchen bouquet. Turn heat down to medium low and stir until sour cream is incorporated.
- Serve over rice or egg noodles.
- Tip: The round steak will be easier to cut if partially frozen.
Important to cut the meat in the small pieces as the recipe says; otherwise, it can come out tough. I think it would be better with a bunch of mushrooms added. But it was pretty easy and husband didn't complain.
We enjoyed this! A nice change from hamburger. I used cubed steak. I also added an extra can of golden mushroom soup and water because I mixed the noodles into the meat and sauce. I used Hickory smoke salt instead of salt. Gave it a very nice flavor. I will be making this again. If I use our own beef again I will bake in the oven for a half hour then serve. Our bigger chunks of meat was a little tough just cooked in the pan. Over all very pleased with this meal and will make again. Thank you for posting!!
What a delicious dinner this was! It may have been a bit too good because I ate too much and my pants feel tight and uncomfortable. This was a nice change from my usual stroganoff which is alot like Hamburger Stroganoff which is made with ground beef instead of round steak. (Although, that recipe is good too.) I need to put on my pyjamas now so that I can release the pressure on my buttons. Thanks puppitypup, we will definitely make this again!