1/3 Photos of Dave's Spicy Noodle Soup
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
W.C. Medows's Note:
This is a rendition of the PF Chang's spicy chicken noodle soup, or the Pin Noodle Soup or war wonton soup. Basic stock is the same, just vary the ingredients... One ingredient I listed is Rice noodles. What I meant was this: "NEN DZEM FEN Short hand-rolled fresh rice noodles, also called silver pin noodles, are sold in 1-pound bags or pouches. Look in refrigerator section, buy up to two days before using, and store in refrigerator. These don't need soaking or boiling—just stir-fry with meats and vegetables until just heated through." -- http://www.saveur.com/article/Techniques/Noodle-Basics -- I also recommend using this other recipe, though I stick to mine generally: -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN3kJ7He_X0 --
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs chicken, roasted
- 2 tablespoons hot chili oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons rice wine
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 ounces fresh rice noodles
- 1If you prefer, you can substitute chinese pork meatballs for the chicken, and if so, just skip the roasted chicken steps below. Also a great base for Wonton Soup, just make wontons you like and use the stock.
- 2Purchase a small frier no more than 4 pounds rub the skin with salt, pepper and garlic powder and roast in an oven at 425 for 1 hour, skin on. (Use a thermometer on the chicken, it should be about 160 degrees when done). If you are not using a whole chicken, cut the weight down to about 2 pounds as I did in the updated recipe.
- 3Once chicken is done, cut into pieces and remove skin and bones. (You may prefer to just use a few skin on chicken breasts with no bones to make this easy.).
- 4In a pot, saute the garlic in the oil. Just heat through, don't brown it or burn. About 1 minute.
- 5Slice the Mushrooms before adding to stock in the next step.
- 6Place all the chicken (except what you steal since it smells so good) into a large pot with the six cups of broth and all remaining ingredients.
- 7Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 8Add rice noodles and cook for about another 10 minutes (just the duration of the time on the package for cooking the noodles) and serve. Note, use FRESH noodles, not dry. If you use dry, as many folks have commented, it will overwhelm the soup. I have adjusted the recipe to reflect this fact. I always use fresh.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dave's Spicy Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.3
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 1196.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 27.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hot chili oil
rice wine vinegar