Recipe by Toni in Colorado
I have a 1994 edition of Colorado Cooks for Education. There are over 400 celebrity contributors, one of which is Dave Thomas, founder of Wendy's. Here is his recipe for chili. I think it's different than what is served today! I have not tried this recipe to compare, but thought it would be interesting to include it for all us chili fans.
- 907.18 g ground beef
- 946.0 ml tomato juice
- 822.13 g tomato puree (1 large can)
- 425.24 g kidney beans (1 can dark red, drained)
- 425.24 g beans (1 can small red beans, drained)
- 354.88 ml onions, chopped (1 medium onion)
- 118.29 ml celery, diced
- 59.14 ml chili powder
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 7.39 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml oregano
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a frying pan, brown ground beef. Drain. Add remaining ingredients and drained ground beef into a 6 quart pot. Cover and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
- A note added: "Dave likes to add fresh, chopped onions on top of his chili serving.".
- My note: I'm guessing that by "small red beans" he meant pinto beans.
- This yields 16 (8 ounce) servings.