Recipe by Toni in Colorado
I have a 1994 edition of Colorado Cooks for Education. There are over 400 celebrity contributors, one of which is Dave Thomas, founder of Wendy's. Here is his recipe for chili. I think it's different than what is served today! I have not tried this recipe to compare, but thought it would be interesting to include it for all us chili fans.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 quart tomato juice
- 29 ounces tomato puree (1 large can)
- 15 ounces kidney beans (1 can dark red, drained)
- 15 ounces beans (1 can small red beans, drained)
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped (1 medium onion)
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a frying pan, brown ground beef. Drain. Add remaining ingredients and drained ground beef into a 6 quart pot. Cover and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
- A note added: "Dave likes to add fresh, chopped onions on top of his chili serving.".
- My note: I'm guessing that by "small red beans" he meant pinto beans.
- This yields 16 (8 ounce) servings.