Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
My husband came up with this quick, healthy and tasty one dish dinner. I can't handle spicy foods, so we have tuned down the cajun seasonings, but feel free to add more if you like. You can also use beef or pork kielbasa if you prefer.
- 1 lb turkey kielbasa
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 3⁄4-2 cups cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Chop the kielbasa in half lengthwise and then in 1/2" pieces.
- Combine all ingredients except the peas in a medium pot, adjusting the amount of water to the directions listed on your rice package.
- Cook uncovered on high until it comes to a boil. Then turn down to low and cook for 20 minutes or per your rice package directions.
- Remove from heat and add frozen peas. Mix peas in by fluffing rice with a large fork. Replace lid and let sit for a few minutes until the peas are just warm.
This is an absolutely stunningly good dish! Simple and filling! I used pork kielbasa and the only step I did differently, was that I used a bit more olive oil and sauteed the rice before adding the rest of the ingredients. Used one teaspoon of garlic powder and one teaspoon of Cajun seasoning and it wasn't too hot at all! Thank you for the recipe! We will be using often! Way faster than going through drive through when you're in a hurry!
What a quick and satisfying meal. I didn't think it would have as much flavor as it did. I added some crushed red peppers for some heat. Loved it. Thanks!
This turned out really tasty. I didn't have cajun seasoning so used 1/2 tsp of red cayenne pepper. It was a lil too spicy for my daughter but the big folks liked it. I'll make it again but tweak the spiciness down during cooking. I used a turkey kielbasa from Trader Joes. I had my teen cook it so she did it in the crock pot for about 3 hours; made it even simpler.