Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This Chili is my husband's specialty and is a HUGE event at our house. People and pets start roaming around the kitchen when they see Papa pull out the chopping block and peppers! It's very thick and hearty and the vegetables and peppers add a special flavor that is missing in a lot of chili. Definitely has a little kick to it - but you can serve it to the kids!
- 2 lbs ground round
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped fine
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow sweet onion, diced
- 1 fresh habanero pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 (15 ounce) canseasoned black beans
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) canmild Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- chili seasoning mix (for 2 pounds of beef)
- 1 bottle beer
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- Chop the peppers and onions and place in a large soup pot.
- Add the remaining spices, beans, tomato sauce& paste, and the beer.
- Stir well and let rest.
- Brown the ground round in a large skillet and add to the soup pot.
- Stir well and simmer on low to medium heat for 1-2 hours.
Absolutely delicious! I made as posted put used Moose meat instead of ground beef. The intro said that it has a kick but kids can eat it...well...DH and I really like the heat so I used 2 habanero peppers and got an extra nice kick. This is going in my make again cookbook. Thanks for posting. :) Tell Dave he's an excellent cook.
Wonderful chili! We made it exactly as directed except I couldn't find habaneros, so we used three jalapenos with seeds instead, and couldn't find chili beans, so used kidney and black beans. We'd never had black beans in chili before, and it really added a little something extra, I think. The beer also added a nice kick, too. This was easy to make and smelled great while cooking. We'll be using this recipe often - thank Dave - this one's a winner!