Recipe by MarieRynr
A hot gratin of thinly sliced potatoes in cream and milk with a hint of garlic, baked and served in the same dish goes well with any roast.
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
- 3 ounces butter
- 10 fluid ounces whole milk
- 10 fluid ounces double cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch grated nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the potatoes and slice thinly-use a mandolin slicer for speed.
- Don't rinse them or you'll wash off the starch that makes them creamy.
- Heat the oven to 350*F.
- Select a large baking dish, which the potatoes will also be served in.
- Rub the garlic round the inside of the baking dish.
- Generously grease the dish with about 1 oz of the butter.
- Put the milk, cream, remaining butter, seasoning and nutmeg into a large pan.
- Bring to a simmer, add the potato slices and heat gently, bringing the contents back to a simmer.
- Turn the potato mixture into the baking dish and spread the slices evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1- 1 1/2 hours or until the potatoes are tender and browned on the surface.