Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a traditional and deliciously rich French dish. It goes with many things but serve it with steak for a real treat. The original recipe called for full-fat creme fraiche or double cream but I have since taken to making this with a half-fat creme fraiche and it's still wonderfully rich. I have also done this successfully with 200ml creme fraiche and 100ml milk.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees Celsius.
- Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly.
- A mandoline or food processor is ideal for this job, but the cucumber slicer on the side of a cheese grater will work as well.
- You can also use a knife but it will take longer to make sure the slices are all the same thickness.
- Spread out the sliced, but unrinsed, potatoes and sprinkle with about 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Rub the slices together and leave for five minutes.
- This helps to soften and season the potatoes.
- Drain off any excess liquid from the potatoes and tip them into a pan with the creme fraiche.
- Salt and pepper lightly, then bring to a boil, reduce the heat immediately and let simmer for about 30 seconds.
- Meanwhile, rub an oven-proof casserole dish with the peeled garlic.
- Tip everything into the prepared dish.
- Spread the mixture evenly and cook for around 45 minutes until the top is browned and the potatoes are cooked.