Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
posted by request,from fine cooking 3/07
Make and share this Daube De Boeuf recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs boneless beef cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices bacon, sliced into pieces
- 8 -10 shallots, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) canpeeled tomatoes
- 4 slices orange zest
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- heat oven to 325f.
- in a dutch oven heat oil and bacon, stirring until bacon is browned, remove to a plate.
- season beef with salt and pepper and cook in batches until browned on all sides, remove to plate.
- drain all but 1 tbs of drippings and add shallots, season with salt and pepper, cook until softened.
- add cognac and boil down.
- add tomato paste, garlic, herbes, stirring.
- add wine and liquid from tomatoes, bring to a boil. crush tomatoes by hand and add to pot, stirring.
- add zest and bacon to pot, add beef and carrots.
- lower to simmer, cover, and place in oven.
- cook 2-3 hours until beef is tender, stirring every 45 minutes.
- add parsley, serve.
Very good! Followed another reviewer's tip of adding a bay leaf and some celery. Served over buttermilk mashed potatoes. Thank you for sharing!
We really liked this recipe, but I found it to be a bit acid due to the overwhelming tomato flavour. Next time I will omit the extra tomato paste because as I use a good quality Italian tinned tomato brand, the juice is more like a paste anyway. Thanks for posting this, I will be using it again.
My daughter's new favorite. We all really enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing the recipe with us!!