Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
A Vietnamese recipe.
- 1 lb firm tofu, waterpacked
- vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soybean sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup vegetable broth or 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil, see note
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Note: The sesame oil used in this is the light cooking oil.
- Cut tofu into 1 inch cubs and press and drain.
- Pour an inch of vegetable oil in wok or skillet and heat over moderately high heat.
- Fry the tofu without crowding. You want them brown on all sides [8 minutes or so]. They should be a crisp golden brown. If you did not press and drain this won't happen. Remove with slotted spoon and place on paper towels to drain.
- Combine the soybean sauce, sugar, broth and pepper in bowl and stir to blend. Set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in saucepan. When hot add the garlic and fry until frgrant. Stir in sauce and fry until boils. Now add the tofu, voer and simmer over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Serve over rice, bread or noodles.
- For Vegetarians/Vegans use vegetable broth.