Recipe by sugarpea
Simply made hors d'oeuvres that are crisp and chewy, savory and sweet.
Top Review by Nado2003
I love this recipe. Added about 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne to the brown sugar and coat the bacon wrapped date in it before baking. I also pre-cook the bacon for a few minutes in the microwave to remove a lot of the fat because I like my bacon crispy. I use a pan with a rack so the bacon grease falls off. Yummy.
- 6 slices very lean bacon, 7 inches long,halved crosswise
- 12 pitted medjool dates
- light brown sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak 12 tooth picks in water for 15 minutes; preheat oven to 500°; line a jelly roll with parchment paper.
- Wrap each date with a piece of bacon and skewer with a toothpick; place seam side down on the baking sheet; sprinkle with brown sugar if desired.
- Bake 6 minutes or until well browned; rotate and bake 2-4 minutes more until bacon is crisp; drain on paper towels; cool a bit and serve.