Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Baked apples that you can bake along side your pork roast or chicken...or anything else or nothing else. A good old fashioned, not microwaved, apple dessert that the whole family will love.
- 78.07 ml dates, chopped
- 29.58 ml low-fat granola
- 29.58 ml walnuts, chopped
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 73.94 ml orange juice
- 19.71 ml margarine, melted
- 59.14 ml water
- 9.85 ml lemon juice
- 4.92 ml grated orange peel
- 1.23 ml cinnamon
- 4 large apples
- maple syrup (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine dates, granola, walnuts, sugar, 1 Tbsp of orange juice, margarine, lemon juice, orange peel, and cinnamon; set aside.
- Core apples, set in 9 inch round baking dish.
- Fill cavities with date mixture, dividing equally.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup orange juice with water, pour around apples in dish.
- Cover with foil, bake in 350 oven 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking about 15 minutes longer, or until apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Serve warm or cold drizzled with maple syrup.
I enjoyed this and my dbf LOVED this!! Made half the recipe (one apple for me and one apple for my dbf) and used about the same about of "stuffing" - mmmmm good!!! Great healthy dessert!! Thanks Annacia!! :)
We had this for dessert at our Passover seder and it was the perfect thing to have after a meal heavy on meat and matzah-based side dishes. I used my own homemade Passover Granola and everyone loved this, even the picky kids who usually make faces at a fruit-based dessert. Thanks!