Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Baked apples that you can bake along side your pork roast or chicken...or anything else or nothing else. A good old fashioned, not microwaved, apple dessert that the whole family will love.
- 1⁄3 cup dates, chopped
- 2 tablespoons low-fat granola
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 teaspoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 large apples
- maple syrup (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine dates, granola, walnuts, sugar, 1 Tbsp of orange juice, margarine, lemon juice, orange peel, and cinnamon; set aside.
- Core apples, set in 9 inch round baking dish.
- Fill cavities with date mixture, dividing equally.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup orange juice with water, pour around apples in dish.
- Cover with foil, bake in 350 oven 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue baking about 15 minutes longer, or until apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Serve warm or cold drizzled with maple syrup.
I enjoyed this and my dbf LOVED this!! Made half the recipe (one apple for me and one apple for my dbf) and used about the same about of "stuffing" - mmmmm good!!! Great healthy dessert!! Thanks Annacia!! :)
We had this for dessert at our Passover seder and it was the perfect thing to have after a meal heavy on meat and matzah-based side dishes. I used my own homemade Recipe #23223 and everyone loved this, even the picky kids who usually make faces at a fruit-based dessert. Thanks!