Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Here's a homey, hearty loaf! My mom called it bread, but I like to think of it as a cake! I prefer using 'Fancy Medjool Dates.'
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, & grease an 8 inch loaf pan.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour & baking powder.
- Add butter & mix with fingers or cut with pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Add sugar, dates & nuts & stir to mix.
- In a small bowl, combine baking soda & warm milk, mixing well.
- Make well in middle of flour mixture & add milk mixture & beaten egg, stirring until mixture is smooth & fairly moist ~ If necessary, add a little more milk.
- Spoon mixture into prepared loaf pan, smoothing top down with back of spoon.
- Bake about 1 hour or until loaf has risen & is golden brown on top. Check with toothpick in the center to make sure loaf is done.
- Cool pan on wire rack 10 minutes, then remove loaf from pan & let cool completely on wire rack before serving.
Awesome. Came out very well. I did a few things differently. I used 1 cup dates chopped and 9 tbs milk. Very moist and nice. I did not have any baking soda on hand, so taking a tip from the internet, I used 1 1/2 tsp baking powder instead. So totally I used 2-1/2 tsp baking powder. Came out very well. Everybody loved it. Thank you so much!!
Yum! The dates I had were already stoned so I only used 8 oz. This is absolutely delicious eaten warm and very quick to mix together. Thanks!
This was very easy to make - once the dates were chopped up. It was a bit drier than I would like, but I'm sure that I could remedy that by adding more milk next time. Thanks for this tasty and interesting loaf! Revised the stars, as I just spoke with a couple people from church and they loved it. Thanks again for posting!