Recipe by hoda
This recipe is easy to make and popular in Iraq since one of the things that Iraq is famous for is dates. We have lots of varieties and kinds of dates from chewy to very hard. It is better to use this recipe with hard type of dates (called kasab) not soft, but you could use soft dates if you didn't find hard dates. Sometimes Ii use already-crushed dates from the market and it goes well too. There are lots of varieties for the coating of the truffles, use as many coatings as you like according to your personal taste.
Top Review by Mohamjip
I make an almost identical recipe, which my friend from Croatia brought with her. She said that she has used dried figs when dates weren't available, though I've never tried that, yet.
- 2 cups pitted dates, hard type
- 1⁄2 cup sesame paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- plain cocoa powder
- icing sugar
- ground coffee, not espresso
- sesame seeds
- shredded coconut
- ground nuts (pistachio, walnuts, hazelnuts, cashew nut, peanuts and almonds)
- whole anise seed
- ground cinnamon
- sugar candy sprinkles
- chopped Oreo cookies
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all ingredients in a bowl.
- Grind the mixture with meat grinder finely.
- Shape the dates into small balls 2 cm in diameter with slightly oiled hand with vegetable oil (I like to shape them roughly so they are not so perfect balls).
- Roll the truffles in your selected coating and place on parchment paper or tray.
- Put the truffles in small decorative paper cups and arrange them in the serving plate.
- If you bought dates that are already ground and pitted, you don't need to grind them in the meat grinder, simply knead ingredients together by hand or you can grind it again by the meat grinder.