1/1 Photo of Date Tart Cookies
From Sunset "Cookies" book (1985). The preparation time calculations do not include the minimum 2 hour resting period for the dough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ, unsweetened and toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1COOKIE DOUGH: In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy; beat in eggs and vanilla.
- 2In another bowl, stir together flour, wheat germ, salt, nutmeg, and baking soda; gradually add to butter mixture, blending thoroughly.
- 3Cover dough tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until easy to handle (at least 2 hours) for up to 3 days. Meanwhile, prepare date filling.
- 4DATE FILLING: In a small pan, combine all the ingredients except the vanilla. Cook over medium heat, stirring and mashing with a spooon, until mixture is thick and smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- 5Let cool; then cover and refrigerate.
- 6COOKIE ASSEMBLY: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 7Take out 1/3 of the dough, leaving remaining dough in the refrigerator. On a well-floured board, roll out dough to 1/16-inch thickness; cut out with a 3-inch cookie cutter. Repeat with remaining dough, rolling and cutting one portion at a time.
- 8Place half the cookies slightly apart on greased baking sheets; spoon a heaping teaspoonful of filling into each. Cover each with another cookie and press edges together with a floured fork. Decoratively slash top, if desired.
- 9Bake in a 350°F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to racks and let cool. Store airtight.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Date Tart Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (37 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 127.0
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 22.2 mg
- Sodium 79.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 1.9 g