Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here's a recipe from our family recipe box. It came from my husband's grandmother. The squares have a cakey bottom and the dates on the top soften up during baking to make a very nice treat! If you find the cake isn't cooked after about 1/2 hour, you can cover the pan with tinfoil to stop the top from burning and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup brown sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 cups finely chopped dates
- Mix the egg yolk, one cup brown sugar, butter, milk, vanilla, baking powder and flour in a bowl.
- Spread in a greased baking pan (8-9 inches square) and cover with the dates.
- Beat the egg white and two tablespoons brown sugar together.
- Pour the mixture over the dates.
- Cook until the top is brown, at 350 F for about 30 minutes.