1/2 Photos of Date Squares
This was printed by The Montreal Gazette. Every Wednesday they printed recipes and recipe ideas, and many of them come from cookbooks or chefs. This one comes from chef Michele Fireman. I've tried this several times, and it's always a hit in the house.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g chopped pitted dates
- 236.59 ml water
- 158.51 ml brown sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
Base and topping
- 1For the date filling: Combine the dates, water, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice in a medium saucepan, stirring often, until thick and smooth, about ten minutes.
- 2Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 3In a mixing bowl cream butter, then cream in sugar.
- 4In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- 5Blend flour mixture into the butter mixture, then blend in the rolled outs.
- 6Grease a square Pyrex baking dish 8x8 inches/2L (I use a square baking pan of the same size).
- 7Put half the rolled oats mixture evenly over the bottom. Spread the cooled dates over the base. Then add the remaining rolled oats mixture over the dates.
- 8Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until nice and brown.
- 9Cool in pan. Cut into squares or bars.
- 10It can be frozen, but in my house it's usually gone within the next few days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Date Squares
Serving Size: 1 (1464 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.4
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 13.5 mg
- Sodium 108.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 32.8 g
- Protein 2.8 g