Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
If you've ever driven on I-10 from Los Angeles to Palm Springs, you've passed Hadley's -- a wonderful desert shop that sells dried fruits and nuts (and was doing so when it was hard to find such places). Their little sandwich shop featured the famous Hadley's "date shake" -- an unbelievably yummy milk shake made with dates. This is an attempt to transfer that flavor to frozen yogurt.
- 1⁄3 cup dates, minced
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin (softened)
- 2 cups plain yogurt (you can use nonfat if you use Greek yogurt)
- Mix the dates and honey together.
- Heat the milk in the top of a double boiler. Add the softened gelatin and date/honey mixture. Stir constantly until ingredients are thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Chill at least 4 hours or overnight; add to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.