1/3 Photos of Date & Raisin Loaf (Old Black Joe)
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Lizzie in NZ's Note:
This is a lovely, large, moist loaf. It has a great flavour in spite of very few ingredients. This is very economical to make as there are no eggs or butter in it.
My Private Note
large l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 160 deg Celsius.
- 2Line an 8 inch cake tin with baking paper.
- 3Combine chopped dates, raisins and baking soda in a large bowl.
- 4Pour in the boiling water, stir. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- 5Add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- 6Now, fold in the sifted flour and baking powder until just combined. Don't over mix at this point or the loaf will be tough.
- 7Bake 160 deg C for approximately 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- 8Leave in tin to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Date & Raisin Loaf (Old Black Joe)
Serving Size: 1 (1619 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3851.3
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2926.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 938.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 36.7 g
- Sugars 579.7 g
- Protein 51.3 g