Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a lovely, large, moist loaf. It has a great flavour in spite of very few ingredients. This is very economical to make as there are no eggs or butter in it.
- Preheat oven to 160 deg Celsius.
- Line an 8 inch cake tin with baking paper.
- Combine chopped dates, raisins and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Pour in the boiling water, stir. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Now, fold in the sifted flour and baking powder until just combined. Don't over mix at this point or the loaf will be tough.
- Bake 160 deg C for approximately 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Leave in tin to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
This loaf was amazing. We just loved it. Made exactly as written EXCEPT the baking time was off by a mile. I baked this in a 9" pie pan at 320 degrees for 45 minutes. And I probably could have pulled it out five minutes earlier. Normally my oven is pretty accurate also. You could put whatever appeals to you in this loaf and I will be making it again with some variations. Wonderful just the way it is though, thank you Lizzie.
I loved this. I used wholemeal flour and raisins only. It was sticky and moist and everyone loved it. Who would think it was so cheap to make?
What a marvellous recipe! I added 1 tsp of vanilla extract (although now that I have tasted the end-product I would say that it probably didn't need it). An excellent fruit loaf - tasty and juicy. I am always looking for recipes suitable for my egg-allergic sister, but this particular egg-free recipe is so good that I will make it even when she isn't around to eat the cake! Thank you very much.