Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a time honored recipe that belonged to my Great Grandmother, it has been passed down and I am the 4th generation to bake it and keep the tradition going.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup dates, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (divided)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup flour
- In medium or large mixing bowl combine 1 cup boiling water, dates and 1 tsp of baking soda, let set for approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mixing well.
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees.
- Bake mixture for 45 minutes in oblong or square pan until toothpick comes out clean.
- Top with freshly whpped cream or cool whip. Desert can be served warm.