Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from a Firemen Cookbook. This date recipe is from Ashly Hobson Engine Company No 40.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups cut up dates
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup soft butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in nuts.
- Sprinkle dates with soda and pour boiling water over them just enough to cover them and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add egg and beat thoroughly. Stir in flour and nuts. Add date mixture and stir to blend well.
- Turn into a buttered 8-inch square pan. Bake 45 minutes in a 350 degree oven until center comes out clean.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if you want.
The walnuts and dates are a fabulous combination! I cut back the sugar to 1/4 cup because dates are so sweet. Mine came out like a coffee cake - would be great for breakfast. Made for the Aus/NZ recipe swap #16
Made two batches of these 'cause I had a whoppin' amount of dates on hand (My neighbors were most happy with my efforts!) ~ VERY, VERY NICE, & a most enjoyable change of pace for me! Thanks for sharing! [Made & reviewed as a kidnapped recipe in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #16]