Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These cookies are great. My mom made them a few times. She even tried them with raspberry jam instead of the date filling.
- 1 1⁄3 cups dates, finely chopped
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan, cook dates, sugar and water. Add vanilla. Stir. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, sift all dry ingredients to make the dough.
- Cut the shortening in small pieces. Add to dry ingredients. Knead with hands, without bringing it homogeneous. Incorporate eggs to the mixture. Let rest 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough to 1/2 inch thick (it didn't mention on a floured surface, maybe it's better).
- Spread the cool filling on the dough. Roll. Cut in slices of 1/2 inch thick. Put on a baking sheet. Cook in the oven for about 10 minutes.
This is a hard one to rate. The taste is 5 stars but for me the making was less. If that makes sense LOL I love the taste of these cookies and I don't like date cookies LOL I ran out of filling so used a HM lavendar peach jam for the remaining dough. This could of been because I rolled it thinner then the 1/2 inch since it was to thick. I did find the dough mixing directions very different then other cookie recipes and it wasn't working that well for me so then just followed how I would normally mix them I think the dough should be chilled the 30 minutes. I didn't and found it very sticky to roll out and I used flour on both the rolling surface and the rolling pin. I also rolled out the dough in batchs cause I was finding there to be to much to handle at once but this was my first time doing a jelly roll type of cookie. My DH loved them so I will be making again. Made for Photo Tag Jan 2009
I absolutely love dates & date cookies are always an attraction for me ~ THESE WERE GREAT! The preparation was so easy, though I admit that I kept both dough & filling cold, rather than just at room temperature! I'll certainly be keeping this recipe around ~ Many thanks for posting it! [Tagged, made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hit Wonders]