Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A delicious and simple to make non-dairy ice cream that I devised by combining ideas from recipes in "The Natural Way" cookbooks by Mary-Anne Shearer.
- 1 (400 ml) can coconut cream (chilled)
- 250 g pitted dates (fresh or dried)
- 30 ml raw honey
- 30 ml fresh lemon juice (1/2 a lemon)
- 1 1⁄4 ml salt
- If using dried dates, add 30 ml warm water and chop with the metal blade in a food processor.
- Add all the other ingredients and process until smooth.
- Freeze in ice cream machine or freeze for about an hour in a freezer proof container, beat or process again, freeze and process again after another hour.
- If using fresh dates, put all the ingredients in the processor at the beginning. The dates can also be replaced by 250g soft pitted prunes.
- If unable to process during the freezing process, merely freeze in a narrow container and cut slices to serve.
creamy and good...i used coconut cream from a couple of fresh coconuts (ran the meat through my juicer) served along w/banana sorbet, fresh straw&blu-berries & the coconut shavings as patriotic parfaits on the 4th...yummy- plan to do again with the canned stuff when I remember to pick some up... reviewed for Healthy Choices tag game...:)
Wow!!! This was really good. I was tempted to just do the coconut milk and dates, but decieded to try the whole recipe. Yummy! (I will try it again with just the c-milk and dates. That tasted good unfrozen.) The kids liked it, thought they demanded sprinkles on it! HA! Thank you! Reviewed for Healthy Choices ABC tag game.