Recipe by mandabears
Easy dessert squares. I have been making these for a zillion years, since I was young and cute. Good plain, but better with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream or cool whip.
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) package instant coconut cream pudding mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 eggs, no this is not a mistake
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces chopped dates, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Prehat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9 pan, I use butter flavored cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine cake mix, pudding mix, butter and the lightly beaten egg.
- Beat on low speed until crumbly.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of crumbs.
- Press remaining crumbs into prepared pan.
- Bake@ 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, water, 2 eggs,.
- and vanilla extract.
- Beat well until smooth.
- Stir in dates, coconut, and nuts.
- Spoon evenly over crust.
- Spread carefully.
- Sprinkle with the 1/2 cup of remaining crumbs.
- Bake@ 350 for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool and cut into squares.
- Really delicious served warmed with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.