Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was a special Thanksgiving and Christmas dish that my mother served because it was very sweet and chewy. It added a special taste to the meal.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Pour boiling water over dates and set aside to cool.
- Cream together sugars, egg and butter or margarine.
- Combine dry ingredients and blend into creamed batter.
- Stir in dates and nuts.
- Pour into a greased baking pan, 11"X 7"X 1 1/2".
- Top with sauce and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold, topped with whipped cream, if desired.
- Sauce: Mix together until smooth and syrupy.
- Pour over batter and bake.