Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a recipe from my MIL, which I had the pleasure of trying for the first time this year. She uses black walnuts, but I look forward to making these with walnuts or pecans, since black walnuts aren't available here.
- 1 lb dates, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- In saucepan, combine first four ingredients and cook to thicken, adding additional 1/4 cup water if needed, then cool.
- In separate bowl, combine butter, white sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add flour, salt and soda and mix thoroughly.
- Divide dough into two and roll out.
- Divide date mixture into two even portions and spread evenly on rolled dough.
- Roll each section, jelly roll style, wrap in wax paper and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- remove rolls from fridge and remove wax paper.
- Slice with thread or sharp knife into 1/4 inch slices.
- bake 5-8 minutes or until brown on edges.
- Cool on rack and serve.