Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Yet another healthy cookie recipe. Enjoy!
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons lightly-packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- Set 2 oven racks at top and bottom thirds of oven.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Spray 2 non-stick baking sheets generously with oil spray.
- In shallow pan over medium-high heat, toast almonds until lightly browned, about 15 minutes, stirring several times.
- Set aside.
- In clean, dry bowl, beat egg white with salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Add rum extract.
- While beating, gradually sprinkle in granulated sugar.
- Beat in dark brown sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Fold in dates, raisins and almonds.
- Drop mixture by teaspoon onto baking sheets 3 inches apart, to make 25 cookies.
- Stagger pans on separate racks so lower pan is not directly below top pan.
- Bake cookies 10 minutes.
- Switch pans to opposite racks.
- Bake 10 minutes more or until cookies are light brown, firm and feel dry to the touch.
- Turn off oven.
- Let cookies sit in oven 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on baking sheets.
- Using metal spatula, gently remove cookies from sheets.
- If not served immediately, store in airtight container, with wax paper between layers, up to 3 days.
- These are crisp on the outside and slightly chewy inside on the first day, they later become chewy throughout.