Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
My grandmother's recipe, circa 1970. As I'm transcribing it from the yellowed, stained index card, I can see her writing it out for me. I loved the rich filling and tender cookie. Mmmm
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To prepare Filling:.
- Combine dates, water and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until thick. Cool; add nuts.
- To prepare Cookie Dough:.
- Cream butter, add sugar and beat until light.
- Beat in eggs one at a time; add vanilla.
- Sift together flour, salt, soda and cinnamon. Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto buttered baking sheet 2" apart. Make a shallow indent in each cookie. Place a scant teaspoon of filling in indent. Cover with 1/2 teaspoon of dough.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
- Store between layers of wax paper in tightly covered container.