Recipe by duonyte
This is for the quick bread/cake cycle of an ABM. It is not a yeast bread. Posted in response to a request.
Top Review by Deely
This Is It! I've been searching for a date nut bread that's similar to my Mom's and I found it in this recipe. It has the denseness, moistness and flavor I remember. I cut the sugar back to a scant 1/2 cup, but that's just personal preference. My bread book said to let the dates soak in the boiling water for 20 minutes and I did that before adding the other ingredients. I'm so glad I finally found this recipe...it's perfectly delicious! Thank you for posting duonyte!
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dates
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1/2 in. pieces
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Place ingredients in order given in bread pan. Set machine to quick bread/cake cycle, medium crust.
- After batter has mixed for 4 minutes, stir sides and bottom with rubber scraper to ensure complete mixing.
- Just before baking starts, pause machine and remove paddle (if your machine has this feature). When baking is completed, remove bread from machine, put on wire rack to cool. Bread slices best cool. Wrap in plastic wrap to maintain freshness.