Recipe by PaulaG
This is a moist bread. I serve it as a desert! My daughter does not like raisins so I have made this bread increasing the dates to 12 oz and eliminating the raisins.
- 8 ounces chopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (I use pecans.)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a loaf pan by spraying with cooking spray.
- Combine dates, nuts and raisins; sprinkle with baking soda.
- Pour 1 cup of boiling water over all of this.
- Cover the bowl and set aside while mixing remaining ingredients.
- In another bowl, with a pastry blender, mix the flours, sugar, Splenda, baking powder, egg and egg white.
- Combine the date mixture with the flour mixture, mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted off center comes out clean.