Recipe by socholy
This is a dark, moist date nut bread like Thomas's or Dromedary --with the deep flavor or molasses! Healthy too--low fat and increased fiber. Don't use the packaged chopped dates as they contain added sugar. You can also make the loaf with white flour only. Enjoy!
Top Review by 54stoney
This is absolutely the best date bread I have ever eaten. I ate it as a young adult about 50 yrs ago out of a can from Dromedary. You opened both ends of the can and pushed it out and sliced it. We served it with softened cream cheese between two sliced and thought it was heavenly. This is not like that at all except in the moistness. It is fool proof and so worth the little effort to make it. I have made it at least 30 times and it is always perfect. I am so spoiled to anything else. We eat it every morning for breakfast. We toast it and my husband puts the cream cheese on it. It is yummmmy. Makes a nice gift also.
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped dates
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- In a bowl, pour hot water over dates and butter.
- Stir and let the mix stand until lukewarm.
- In a food processor, puree 1/3 of the date mixture to make a paste.
- Stir paste back into date bowl mixture.
- Add brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, and eggs.
- Mix until combined.
- In another bowl, sift the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Add whole wheat flour and mix well.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the date mixture.
- Stir until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until loaf top has risen.
- Remove bread from the oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before turning out.