Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a dark, moist date nut bread like Thomas's or Dromedary --with the deep flavor or molasses! Healthy too--low fat and increased fiber. Don't use the packaged chopped dates as they contain added sugar. You can also make the loaf with white flour only. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- In a bowl, pour hot water over dates and butter.
- Stir and let the mix stand until lukewarm.
- In a food processor, puree 1/3 of the date mixture to make a paste.
- Stir paste back into date bowl mixture.
- Add brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, and eggs.
- Mix until combined.
- In another bowl, sift the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- Add whole wheat flour and mix well.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the date mixture.
- Stir until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until loaf top has risen.
- Remove bread from the oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before turning out.