Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Perfect for company, moist dark and sweet this is an exceptional bread.
- 2 cups chopped pitted dates
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped candied pecans
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring 2 cups water to boil.
- In a medium bowl, combine dates and baking soda. Pour boiling water over the date mixture, stir and cool.
- In a large bowl or mixing bowl, combine sugar, shortning, salt, vanilla and egg. Beat until well blended.
- Add flour and date mixture alternately to mixing bowl and beat well after each addition. Begin and end with flour. Stir in pecans.
- Pour batter into 3 (8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch) loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool 10 minutes on wire racks, remove from pans and cool completely.