Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is one of my Great Aunt Bernice's recipes that is in my Grandmother's recipe book. A lot of the recipes from this book were on the menu at Grandma's restaurant. The restaurant was located on the south side of RT 30 in Dyer, In. right where "SELECT AUTO SALES" is located now, about a block and a half west from Round the Clock Restaurant. It was called Glady's Coffee Pot.
- 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 -2 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup dates, chopped and soaked in boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- Cream the margarine and sugar together.
- Add well beaten eggs and soaked dates.
- Add sifted flour together with the baking soda.
- Add vanilla and nuts.
- Pour mixture into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 to 55 minutes or until done.
Yum. I served this to my book club with cream cheese spread and all were impressed. After one bite DH said he wants it for breakfast every day. So I guess that's a pretty good response to a recipe. I did replace half the shortening with applesauce.
Wow! This is the best date nut bread ever! I grew up in Merrillville and my parents were born and raised in Hammond! Where was your Grandmother's restaurant?