Recipe by Cristin
These were always a big request from my family at Christmas time. They are so easy to make and something that is a little different from ordinary Christmas cookies. They also can be changed around. Not in the mood for dates, just use dried apricots instead of dates and omit the walnuts for apricot bars instead!
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup Crisco
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1⁄4 cups oatmeal
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups pitted dates, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, slightly chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan, place the dates, sugar and water.
- Cook and boil together until thick.
- Allow to cool while making the crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together brown sugar, Crisco, baking soda, oatmeal, flour and vanilla.
- Press half of the dough into the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Reserve the rest for topping.
- Spread date mixture over crust; pat rest of dough mix on top of dates and bake for 20 minutes or until brown.
- When cool, cut into bar shapes.