Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
FAMILY FAVORITE! Dates are our favorite fruit to put in bars and combined with nuts give a "just right" flavor. I have been making these bars for over 30 years and we have them all year. The powdered sugar topping is a must for enhanced flavor. Great with coffee!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (or walnuts)
- powdered sugar
- Beat eggs and mix with sugar. Add butter and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Add to egg mixture and stir.
- Fold in dates and chopped nuts.
- Spoon mixture into a 9 x 9 inch baking pan which has been sprayed with oil.
- Bake 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into bars.
GREAT TASTING DATE BARS! I used the more moist & tasty Medjool dates & also toasted the pecans before including them! And, I didn't dust them with the powdered sugar! Thanks for posting a keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed as a recipenap in the Aus.NZ Recipe Swap #22]
Really good recipe! I love that the bars were FULL of the dates & pecans!! The texture is a little dense. I served at Sewing Circle with tea & everyone liked them. Someone who thought they didn't like dates even enjoyed one!