Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another addition to my holiday cook collection. A tender cream cheese cookie enveloping a fig and nut confit. Pass the milk. This recipe originally appear in the holiday issue of Sunset magazine. I have estimated the preparation time, which I would be to be a bit more intensive than a basic drop cookie.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add flour and salt, and beat until blended.
- Shape dough into a ball and wrap well in waxed paper or cling wrap. Chill for an hour.
- Combine dates, sugar, and water in a saucepan and cook over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove fruit puree from heat; stir in walnuts and orange rind, and let cool.
- Divide chilled dough in half. Place half (or less) on a lightly floured surface, and roll to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon date mixture in center of each cookie. Repeat procedure with remaining dough.
- Fold dough over filling, pressing edges with tines of a fork to seal.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Remove to a cooling rack until fully cool.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.